Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Emigration Ship


"The Star of India", in San Diego Harbor, is the oldest active sailing ship, christened in 1863. The other day, I bought a ticket and hopped aboard with my trusty iPhone.


For 25 years beginning in the 1870s, as "The Euterpe", the ship took emigrants from Great Britain around the Cape of Good Hope to New Zealand. A typical voyage lasted four months. These days an LA to NZ flight takes about 13 hours and I always bitch about it. I lived in New Zealand back when Carter and Reagan were President. My daughter was born there, and calls New Zealand home.


A second class cabin. Try not to imagine steerage.


A deckside view.


End of voyage. The Euterpe docked in Port Chalmers in the port of Dunedin on New Zealand's South Island. I once owned a house about three miles from here.

No comments: