Monday, December 21, 2009

iPhone Photo of the Day - Swami on a Surfboard


You were going to get a pic of the ocean north of San Diego, then I happened to grab a bite to eat nearby in Encinitas at a place called Swami's Cafe. There, as I was placing my order, I did a double take at the mural. No, your eyes are not playing tricks on you. That's a likeness of Paramahansa Yogananda riding the waves.

Close observation reveals that Yogananda has achieved a rare state of surfing perfection.

As many of you know, Yogananda is founder of the Self-Realization Fellowship and author of "Autobiography of a Yogi"(1946), which had a profound influence on no end of individuals seeking greater meaning in their lives (myself included). Yogananda is also one of the luminaries who graced The Beatles' seminal "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band" album cover, another example of perfection, this time in the pop arts.

My mahi-mahi wrap, by the way, was perfect.

No comments: