Monday, November 16, 2009

Burn Zone



We've had rain. The winds are blowing in from a new direction. Santa Ana - the red wind, the devil's breath - is silent. For now, we can exhale. These iPhone pics taken today were shot on a walk less than  10 miles from where I live. In late October, 2003 as far as the eye could see was a raging inferno, the devastating Cedar Fire that torched 280,278 acres in Southern CA and took 15 lives. I moved here in 2006. In 2007, I held my breath as dense purplish smoke poured over the hills below us.

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

Respect, total respect ...

2 comments:

Lucy Talikwa said...

Love your earth slides. Lived in Northern CA for two years in the 70s. Such a strange land: affected my art drastically. Very different from my misty mountains here....On another topic; how did the Elvis Pizza go? Is the recipe a closely guarded secret? Can you at least publish a picture???? Have you blogged about this and I have just missed out?

John McManamy said...

Hey, Lucy. Elvis pizza blog coming soon. Stay tuned ...